You can’t go from generating zero deals using B2B lead generation tactics to suddenly landing million-dollar ones overnight. It doesn’t work like that. There’s no magic trick or secret sauce when it comes to closing high-dollar opportunities fast. But, the faster your business realizes the importance of B2B appointment setting, the better. If you can start working B2B appointment setting activities into your sales process, you’ll be well on your way to closing big deals.
This is exactly what happened to one of our solar clients who took the leap and decided to start a solar lead generation program in 2018. Over time, they saw more consistent opportunities and are currently in the proposal stage of their largest opportunity to date.
Solar Lead Generation Success—Using B2B Appointment Setting to Consistently Win Business Over Time
This solar company is the perfect example of a company who was patient and gave the processing time to work in their favor. With B2B appointment setting efforts, you don’t always see results right away, but over time, you build a solid sales pipeline and consistently generate high-quality opportunities. Plus, when you give the processing time to work, the right target, timing, and message will all align perfectly for you to get the monster deal you’ve been dreaming about.
Here’s the story of how B2B appointment setting paid off (literally) for a solar company in California.
Closed Business Using B2B Appointment Setting: All Time
Any sales expert knows that B2B appointment setting helps companies build healthy sales pipelines that consistently generate high-quality leads; solar companies are no exception. That’s why it didn’t take long for this solar company to close their first deal after B2B appointment setting activities kicked off. In total, they’ve generated more than $4.7M in closed opportunities from B2B appointment setting efforts. Here are the details:
- May 2018: Importance of the First Month. May of 2018 was this solar client’s first month live in their appointment setting program. Even if zero deals close in the first month (which is to be expected), this is not a time to get discouraged. The first month is a critical time and sets the tone for how the entire program will pan out. In B2B appointment setting, tons of activity goes on during the first month to ensure long-term success: introductions, lead nurturing begins, and cleansing starts (finding the most qualified companies that fit in the client’s sandbox so we can target the right prospects in the future). This process is a critical time for salespeople to ask good survey/qualification questions so the right prospects can enter the nurture phase. Calibrating your message early on is also important, you need to ensure your messages are being received. If they’re not, you have to change something about how you’re selling.
- June 2018: First Deal Closed. It took two months of cold calling, emailing, and nurturing prospects for this solar company to close their first deal using B2B appointment setting. As mentioned previously, opportunities are born and deals get closed when the right target is contacted at the right time with the right message. For this deal, the timing was a huge factor. The prospect was actually already looking into solar solutions, so it was the perfect time to submit a proposal. This solar job ended up closing for $1.8M.
- September 2018: Second Deal Closed. This was another opportunity where the timing was perfect. We also hit the right target, we were able to confirm with the gatekeeper that our contact was the owner of the company we were calling on. He expressed that he was very interested in a solar energy solution. He agreed that a proposal was a good idea to give to his landlord. The deal ended up closing shortly after.
- October 2018: Third Deal Closed. Just one month later, another deal closed (B2B appointment setting builds a healthy sales pipeline that allows you to do this). This is another deal where the timing just made sense. The prospect said they looked into solar a few years back, but it didn’t make financial sense at the time. To push the sale, we explained the advances in technology and how solar could definitely yield a better value this time around. He agreed to let our solar client come out and look at their facility. The deal ended up closing not long after.
- March 2019: Two Deals Closed. Closing two deals in one month proves that B2B appointment setting did exactly what it was intended to do for this client. Over time, appointment setting activities generate opportunities consistently and more frequently.
Although this solar company has only closed five deals using B2B appointment setting in two years, you have to consider the industry. Most commercial solar jobs can easily be over $1 million. Five deals closed and $4.7 million generated from B2B appointment setting activity is a very successful sales record for a solar company.
Current Proposals Out
This solar company began B2B appointment setting activities just over two years ago and they currently have 18 proposals out. These are quality opportunities that have a high likelihood of turning into closed businesses. Two years ago, 18 proposals were a nice thought, but it didn’t sound realistic. Now, because of B2B appointment setting, it’s a reality.
How does B2B appointment setting help you build a healthy sales pipeline filled with high-quality opportunities?
- Strategic prospecting to find the right targets. The best sales programs have a dedicated resource whose main job is to prospect and find the right targets to contact.
- Asking qualifying questions. The point of a B2B appointment setting program is to guide prospects through the sales funnel. By asking qualifying questions, you can determine which ones are a good fit for your product or service.
- Lead nurturing. Qualifying and nurturing leads is what allows sales representatives to fill their pipeline with qualified leads. You can’t disqualify an opportunity just because it’s not the right time or because you get blown off. Continuing to nurture is what eventually gets you more opportunities at one time than you’ve ever had.
Because this solar company decided to start a B2B appointment setting program, they now have a proposal out for what could turn into one of their biggest deals EVER—the proposal is for $4 million. If this proposal turns into a closed deal, they can thank B2B appointment setting efforts.
What Could B2B Appointment Setting Do For Your Business?
This solar company has been generating consistent opportunities since 2018 because of B2B appointment setting. Now they’re on what may be their biggest deal ever if it closes. It took time, but they’re now at a point where they can predict future revenue and have peace of mind knowing where their next opportunity is coming from.
What could a B2B appointment setting program do for your business? What could you do if you had a predictable stream of revenue and didn’t have to worry about where your next opportunity was coming from? To know true B2B sales success, one must be patient; B2B appointment setting takes time. But when you give the process time to work, you’ll eventually get opportunities where the right target, right time, and right message all intersect. As a result, you’ll close deals consistently, more frequently, and deals will become larger over time.
Have you ever considered sales outsourcing? At Abstrakt, we cause predictable growth for businesses by building healthy sales pipelines that generate consistent opportunities. To learn more about our B2B appointment setting services, contact us.
Want to Learn More?
Get In Touch