An outsourced inside sales team is a team of experienced sales representatives who work on behalf of your company to prospect, qualify, and nurture leads. These activities help them to build a robust sales pipeline that consistently generates new opportunities for your business. By taking a time-consuming responsibility off of your plate (setting high-quality sales meetings), outsourced sales teams help you close more deals and focus more on your business.
Sounds great, right? So, why is it that so many businesses won’t consider outsourcing sales?
Sales outsourcing often gets a bad rap. Most businesses don’t believe that it can work; or, they think they can do a better job themselves and at a lower cost. Some businesses hear ‘sales outsourcing’ and immediately think of a team of cold callers overseas.
Here are six common myths about sales outsourcing.
You shouldn’t dismiss the idea of sales outsourcing just because you already have your own sales team. In fact, businesses with their own internal sales department can actually benefit the most from sales outsourcing. Why? Because outsourced sales development representatives (SDRs) are actually using B2B appointment setting to schedule meetings for your sales team.
Your salespeople aren’t paid to prospect and schedule pitches, salespeople are paid to sell. When you invest in B2B appointment setting services, a team of professionals will prospect, call, follow up with, and nurture qualified sales leads on your behalf. Then, once a prospect agrees to a meeting, your sales reps can deliver a more detailed sales pitch and close a deal.
According to a survey with over 700 sales reps, salespeople spend only 35.2% of their time selling. This is because a lot of their time is spent prospecting and following up with leads in their pipeline.
By outsourcing B2B appointment setting, your team can solely focus on pitching warm leads.
“We’re so slammed with opportunities right now, we don’t have time to consider sales and marketing services.”
“We’re already the #1 provider in town for our services. Everyone knows us. We don’t need more leads.”
These are some of the most common excuses B2B businesses will make for why they don’t want to outsource sales. Even if you are #1 in your market, that doesn’t mean you can’t benefit from B2B appointment setting services. A busy business with existing opportunities and current customers has even more of a reason to outsource.
Here’s why every business needs B2B lead generation (even the most successful ones):
- Competitors will eventually catch up. You’re already at the top? Then you have to do something to stay there. Outsourcing can help you build a predictable sales pipeline and consistently generate new opportunities.
- You need to learn about prospects. Everyone may know who you are, but do you know all of your target customers? Probably not. Managing a sales pipeline helps you develop relationships so that you can know everything about your potential customers.
- Without it, you don’t have a growth plan. ‘Everyone knows us’ is NOT a growth plan. How can you grow your business on that fact alone? You can’t predict anything from that. With a solid sales program in place, you’ll have goals and targets to hit.
- Inform prospects of new offerings. Everyone may know your name, but they don’t know when something changes at your business. Are you offering a new product or service? Did your pricing change? Make prospects aware of this!
Bottom line: there ARE people out there looking for what you offer, but they don’t know you exist yet. If you’re not actively going after new prospects, you’re missing out on opportunities and business growth.
Building your own sales team in-house is rarely the more cost-effective option. The cost of DIY lead generation far exceeds the cost of working with a lead generation company. There are several costs associated with hiring your own in-house sales team:
- Staff. The cost of one full-time employee costs more than an outsourced sales program. Plus, when you outsource, you get access to multiple experts in various areas (a data analyst, someone who is solely responsible for prospecting, a sales rep, a writer, etc.)
- Overhead. Hiring your own employees means having to worry about benefits. This can equate to thousands of dollars per person. Plus, you have the added factor of PTO and sick days. An outsourced sales team is large enough so that you’re always covered, even when someone gets sick or goes on vacation.
- Tools. The tools alone that you’d have to purchase to replicate what a lead generation company can do far exceed the cost of an outsourced sales program. Think about it; you need a leading CRM software, databases for prospecting, SEO tools for inbound lead generation, marketing automation tools, and maybe more depending on your goals. When you outsource, your team already has access to all the tools you’ll need.
- Technology. In addition to cutting edge tools, you’ll also need things like extra telephones, laptops, monitors, etc. so that your team can successfully do their job. Again, an outsourced sales team already has all of this.
- Training. Training takes time, and time is money. What would you rather do; hire your own team and spend weeks training them, or outsource to a team who already knows what they’re doing? Plus, what happens if they quit? You start the process over? An outsourced sales team will always be there, so you don’t have to worry about turnover.
You can acquire the team and technology on your own, or you can outsource to a team that specializes in exactly what you’re looking for. Which one is a better use of your time?
Are you ready to discuss a strategy for your business?
If you’re a business owner, especially in a very niche market, you probably think an outsourced sales team will screw up your messaging. There’s no way they can pitch the same way you would. This is where you’d be wrong.
- A B2B appointment setting company’s entire goal as a business is to help your grow yours; they’re going to do everything they can to learn about your brand and customers
- Outsourced sales teams bring with them years of deep experience with individuals from all different backgrounds, and they’ll match you up with a team that fits your needs best
- A B2B lead generation company usually specializes in working with certain industries (if you’re looking for commercial cleaning leads, look for a company who specializes in commercial cleaning lead generation)
If you find the right partner, your outsourced sales team won’t seem outsourced at all. They’ll feel more like an extension of your team.
You might be worried about losing too much control over the sales process when you outsource. This is fair, you care about your business and you’re giving someone else a huge responsibility is scary. However, you really have nothing to worry about when outsourcing your sales efforts.
Outsourced sales teams are not only focused on helping you hit your goals, they also provide you with real-time analytics, sales forecasts, and regular updates. Great lead generation and B2B sales companies will have a wealth of resources available to their clients. From client portals to regular touch-base meetings, you’ll have visibility into your program and plenty of time to talk to your outsourced sales team as if they were your team.
Outsourced sales is frequently confused with telemarketing. The term ‘telemarketing’ often has a bad connotation; people think of crowded rooms of cold callers dialing and reading from a script. While cold calling is part of outsourced inside sales, it hardly even begins to describe everything that is involved in a B2B appointment setting program.
When you outsource sales, you’re getting access to a team of experts, a complete sales process, and the tools needed to successfully generate sales opportunities. Here are just a few of the things your outsourced sales team will do for your business:
In addition to the skills an outsourced sales team offers, they can also provide:
- Analytics and custom reporting
- Tools (databases, CRM data; info on leads in your pipeline)
Sales outsourcing will look different for every business; but all in all, outsourced inside sales can help your business succeed. When considering outsourced inside sales, look at the facts, not the myths. And remember, your outsourced sales team is there to help you, not hinder you.
Abstrakt Marketing Group is a business growth company specializing in B2B appointment setting. Our team of lead generation experts sits in St. Louis, MO, and we offer the team, processes, and tools needed to help your company successfully generate new opportunities. Ready to see what outsourced sales can do for your business? → book an appointment.